S/V Delilah

A Blog to track the wanderings of the S/V Delilah, a 37-foot Tayana sailboat.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Feb. 3 in G Town

We spent most of today in town again, running a slew of errands in anticipation of our first guest, the first of many, we hope, so get on the ball and start planning your visits. What, isn't the weather up there cold enough yet for you people? The intrepid Greg Burd will be arriving tonight, along with a suitcase full of spare parts, specialty foods, mail, cash, and other goodies that we asked him to bring. I suspect he won't even need to check luggage on the return trip. And his first impression of the place will be a long and damp dinghy ride in the dark, as we are anchored quite a distance from town.

George Town has a library that welcomes cruisers to join for a small annual fee. It's open for two hours a day, and you can check out books indefinitely! They also host a book swap, and I was thrilled to find David Sedaris's latest book there--mine for free! Book swaps are a very important part of the cruising world, especially for Dean, who has read about thirty books of varying quality so far on this trip. Not everybody is quite so voracious, as I realized after naively asking a cruising mother of two kids under ten how it was that she'd only read one book so far (not counting homeschooling texts and "Harry Potter"). She was very polite as she explained where her time goes, but I can only imagine what she'd like to have said.

This afternoon, on my way to the beach in Digby, I effected my first rescue at sea. Just past the area where all the boats anchor, I came across a man trying to paddle his inflatable against the wind with one oar. He had run out of gas and had no oarlocks with which to row properly, and innflatable dinghies are terrible to row to begin with. So I took him in tow the final hundred yards or so back to his boat.

Later, coming back from the beach, I ran out of gas as well, but we keep a spare can on Digby for such emergencies. It's still a pain, though, as the engine requires about thirty tries with the starter cord after it's run dry. I was beginning to wonder if rowing would be more efficient after all--or at least less embarrassing--before I finally got ignition.

------------------------------
Sent via PocketMail
Email Anywhere
www.pocketmail.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Burd said...

When I arrived my bag weighed 67 lbs, it was late at night, and I was psyched to see my friends and their boat. I left tired, in my last set of clean clothes, with a greater appreciation for wind, waves, and weather and with only 24 lbs in my bag. You do the math.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home